Roadtrip.


A few weeks ago I felt the need to drive nearly 6 hours to Washington Depot, CT and see the town that inspired Gilmore Girls' "Stars Hollow". Of course I had to request off work, wait 3 weeks for those scheduled days to arrive, and hope that I still felt adventurous. It seemed to work out nicely since Utah didn't happen and with this weekend's events, I needed a break from life right about now anyway. I chose a hotel in the Danbury/Bethel area of Connecticut which is only 20+ miles from my dream destination, but once I got there, my desire to see "Stars Hollow" waned and I didn't feel like driving an extra 40 minutes out of my way. I figure, you see one New England town, you've seen them all. I'm sure that's an incorrect assumption; I'll have to adjust my worldview for next time. I did, however, enjoy these two days of scheduled spontaneity.

In honor of at least one favorite TV show, I spent a "scrantastic" 20 minutes at the Steamtown Mall in Scranton (I bought iPod speakers and batteries at f.y.e. because a CD got stuck in my car and heaven forbid I have to listen to the radio). At least I can now say that I have truly been to the "Electric City".

I spent way too much money to see two movies: one beautifully filmed but stressfully boring, "Where The Wild Things Are", and one amazingly fantastic, horrendously sad, 'Bright Star', about the Romantic poet, John Keats. I now have a new love for Keats' poetry and a silly celebrity crush on Ben Whishaw, the actor who portrayed him so well.

I did see some awesome Fall foliage, but do you know how difficult it is to take a decent picture when the scenery is flying past you at 85 miles an hour? Well, I do. You can only do so much when you're the passenger and the driver. I couldn't stop for every beautiful thing, because that would have been ridiculous and it would've taken me ten years to get home.

Here are my feeble, edited attempts to capture, in the most limited way possible, the beauty of the end of the season in New England (maybe one or two from Connecticut, mostly New York, and a few from PA, north of Scranton):








What can I say? I tried.

Comments

  1. You got so close to "Stars Hollow" and you didn't go...for shame Kiely Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you escaped to Connecticut! I'm a little sad you didn't go to Washington though...I dream of going there someday. I was so excited to live on the east coast for little trips such as this one. *sigh* someday perhaps. Great pictures! Glad you had a nice get away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! I loved the "stressfully boring" comment on the movie haha that explains it pretty well

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Look at the baby!